CYO DIOCESAN TRACK LEAGUE
2015 CROSS COUNTRY SEASON FACT SHEET
Developmental Half-Mile Races: Sunday, September 27, 2015
John Bennett Cross Country Classic: Sunday, October 4, 2015
Marty Enright Memorial
Sectional Championship Meet: Sunday, October 18, 2015
CYO Diocesan Championship Meet: Sunday, October 25, 2015
If a rain date is needed, the date is Sunday, November 1ST.
All the meets this year, and the rain date, will be held at Alley Pond Park located at Springfield Blvd. and 76th Ave. Check in near the finish line located next to the parking lot off 76th Ave.
Check in time for all meets is 11:15 AM immediately followed by the coaches meeting. It is at the coaches meeting that starting line positions will be drawn, it is therefore imperative you are at the park on time to attend. First race is scheduled for 12 noon. Please note, in the event of a threat of inclement weather, races may be run by combining boys and girls and may be run ahead of schedule.
There will be no team competition in the first two meets. Individual medals will be awarded to the first 25 finishers in each age group race at the Half-Mile Races and to the first 25 finishers in each age group at the Cross Country Classic. At the sectional meet the teams will be divided into two divisions (roughly based on keeping competition even) and team awards (medals only) will be awarded to the top five teams in each division and age group. Medals for the team results will go to all your runners in the race even though only your top three finishers are involved in team scoring. Individual medals will be awarded to the top 15 finishers in each division and age group (30 medals per race). At the diocesan meet team awards (trophies and medals) will be awarded to the top five teams in each age group. Individual medals will be awarded to the top 25 finishers in each age group. Finisher ribbons will be awarded to all pee wee runners and to novice runners who do not receive medals. Teams consist of a minimum of three runners.
DIVISION AGE ON 9/1/15
PEE WEE 5,6
Note the minimum age of 5 years old by September 1st, 2015. The pee wee race will be an non competitive race (no times, no scoring, ribbons or medals for all finishers). The race will be approximately 340 meters. The pee wee race will be run as the first race of the meet, before the senior race. No runner in any division is to be moved up to an older age division in either of the first two
meets as there is no team competition. One pee wee runner only may be moved up to novice in the last two meets only if you have just 2 novices and you wish to complete a team for those meets. Runners in the other age divisions (one or two) may be moved up one age division in the last two meets only if there is at least one runner of the older division in that race. The moving up of such runners will only be permitted with notice given to and permission granted by the meet director before the race.
ORDER OF EVENTS AND DISTANCES:
- Pee wee. Approx. 340 meters
- Senior. Approx. 1.1 mile
- Junior. Approx. 7/8 mile
- Novice. Approx. 1/2 mile
- Bantam. Approx 2/3 mile
Again note that races may be run ahead of schedule if there is a threat of rain.
- No student who has either run or practiced with a high school track team is eligible to run in any CYO track meet.
- Team scoring is based on the order of finish of the first three runners on your team. A team cannot score if there are less than three runners entered. A tie in team scoring is broken by the finishing position of the third runner on the teams involved.
- At the coaches' meeting prior to the start of each of the meets coaches will draw starting line positions for their teams. If a coach is not at the meeting, a number will be drawn for them. The starting line will be divided into sections, or boxes, of equal size (5' to 6'), one box for each of the teams entered for the cross country season. Your runners on the starting line are to line up in your drawn box number only. We expect you will be able to line up between 3 to 5 runners on the start line. Additional runners on your team will line up anywhere along a second line placed about 2 feet behind the start line at your discretion. We expect every team's cooperation in placing their runners correctly on the starting line. This system is intended to reduce crowding and congestion at the start while giving all teams regardless of size a fair position at the start.
- Pacing of runners during the race is not allowed by coaches, parents or teammates. Consideration will be given to runners at the back of the field in the younger age groups.
- A runner must be on your roster before the third meet in order to be counted in the team scoring at the Diocesan Meet. Anyone entered before the final meet can run but cannot score points for your team.
- The annual collection of toys to benefit the children in the pediatric ward of the Jamaica Hospital Medical Center will be held on Sunday, October 25th. The enclosed flyer will be sent to all coaches in .pdf format before the first meet. Please bring this to the attention of your team during the season. If it is convenient toys may be turned in at any of the earlier meets.